Schooner EUPHEMIA wrecked Old Castle Head
19 February 1896
The schooner Euphemia was registered at Beaumaris but owned in Amlwch. Of 75 tons she was bound from London to Holyhead with a cargo of cement.
In the early hours of 19 February 1896 a light was seen which the master Richard Jones thought was that of The Smalls lighthouse. A strong south-west wind was blowing and visibility was very poor. The schooner struck rocks and was wrecked.
Nineteen year old James Thomas an able-seaman was able to swim ashore and climb the cliffs in the dark. He remained at the top of the cliffs until daylight and then made his way to a house. It was the farm house at Skrinkle near Lydstep, Pembrokeshire. The schooner had struck the rocks at the foot of Old Castle Head. Captain Richard Jones had seen the light on Caldy but thought that it was The Smalls. The south-west wind had driven the schooner up channel.
Thomas was tended by Mrs Protheroe of Skrinkle farm while her husband set off for Tenby to alert the coastguard. The coastguard took the rocket apparatus to the scene and Tenby lifeboat Annie Collin was also launched but there were no more survivors.
The master Richard Jones, his son William, who was the mate, and William Pritchard had drowned.